Monday, July 23, 2012

Personality


When it comes to explaining personality, the textbook refers to what is known as the Revised NEO Personality Inventory. It consists of five different factors- Neuroticism, extraversion, openness to experience, agreeableness, and conscientiousness. Each of these factors have six specific traits. First I should explain the five different factors. 1) Neuroticism involves anxiety, hostility, depression, self-consciousness, impulsiveness, and vulnerability to stress.2) Extraversion involves warmth, gregariousness, assertiveness, activity, excitement seeking, and positive emotion. 3) Openness to experience involves fantasy, aesthetics, feelings, actions, ideas, and values. 4) Agreeableness includes trust, straightforwardness, altruism, compliance, modesty, and tender mindedness. 5) Conscientiousness includes competence, order, dutifulness, achievement striving, self-discipline, and deliberation.
                Based on these traits, I would consider myself a very extraverted person because I am very a very talkative and social person. I do not consider myself to be shy, and I am always willing to meet new people.  I am also very open to experience and willing to try new things. I can also cooperate well with other people and am highly agreeable. Especially in school, many of my classes require group work  and projects, I find myself to be very good at working in groups. I would not describe myself as neurotic , seeing how the traits under that category fail to describe me. I would also consider myself slightly conscientiousness, but not too much. I find myself to be organized at some points, but at times to be impulsive too.
                The two products I am going to be looking at are Carlsberg and Bud Light. In Ireland, I felt as though Carlsberg was the Irish version of Bud Light. Not only did the products have a similar taste, but the way they were presented and advertised were similar as well. Carlsberg was the official beer of the Euro cup in Ireland. Similarly, in the United States, Bud Light seems to be the beer associated with sports such as football. It is the official beer of the NFL. Both of these products have a strong connection with sports, and rely heavily on this factor is advertisement. Both of these brands seem to be extraverts. Their advertisements are exciting ( mostly due to them being related to sports), and get people fired up for their favorite sports and teams. Seeing as these products have very similar personalities, it makes it interesting to see how they are both successful in two different countries. Both brands rely heavily on sports in order to make their advertising have an impact. These products use the same strategies, with only slight difference to accommodate the difference in cultures (such as the different sports being used in ads).



No comments:

Post a Comment